Monday, October 17, 2011

Right - CTS

Friday, October 14, I had Carpal Tunnel Surgery on my Right Hand.  I decided on the Brown Hand Center because of the advanced laproscopic method and quick recovery time.  My hands have been falling asleep since I was pregnant with Jake and over the last year it has gotten much worse.  My hands hurt and fell asleep while I drove, even just to the kids school.  When I carried a bag, when I used a pen or when I held a book at read.  I was very tired of the pain and inconvenience.  So once my insurance deductible was met, I went for it!

Once I had met with Dr. Mahoney , my Dad also used him a couple years ago, I had a nerve test done.  The results showed that I had moderate carpal tunnel.  If I didn't do surgery, I was sure to have irreversible nerve damage and lose complete function in my hands.  So the procedures were scheduled.  First the right and in a few week the left.

Randi drove me to the surgery center after we had taken the kids to school.  We waited with some nice nurses before the procedure and then the awesome anesthesiologist came in and worked his magic.  Before I knew it, we were on our way home.


There has been a little bit more pain and discomfort than I had anticipated and when I took the bandages off for the first time tonight I was surprise at the bruising.  Now I know that I am not a complete wimp and I have actual reason for my discomfort.




I am glad this recovery is not the typical 6 weeks and only about a week.  I forgot how much I need to use my right hand, but also to use two.

No comments:

Post a Comment