Sunday, May 25, 2014

90th Birthday Celebration







Growing up we spent every holiday (at least the big holidays) at Grandma Joyce's house (the little holidays we cleaned the garage…no joke).  She *always* had THE best food…and always made it super fancy with her nicest dishes and silverware.  Even at the kids' table.  Everything she cooked or baked was delicious. We were lucky that my grandparents moved to Gilbert when I was little…we didn't have to travel far to visit, so we got to visit often.


Grandma Joyce got a big fancy party for her 90th birthday.  Complete with all her kids in town, a lot of grandkids, food, and a pool party.  The party began with each of grandma's children sharing their memories of her.  Once they each had a turn, Uncle Jimmy got up to share some stories of when Grandma was young and married to Tuffy.  That was fun for me since we don't know a lot about him.  Grandma Joyce was the last to speak and share her testimony.  I think everyone was teary eyed by then. 
 
 
Photo
 
Photo
 

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo

Photo
 
Photo

Photo

Ryan and Michelle commissioned an artist to make a family tree picture for her.

Photo
 
Photo

Once that was over everyone was free to visit, eat and dance.

 
I used to think my grandma was old…that was way back when…ya know…30 seemed ancient.  And only after finishing my twenties (several years ago) did I realize that 30 is just the beginning.  And as my grandma turned 90 in May…I realized that life won't always be the way it has been.  When I was a little girl, she was younger than my dad is now.
 
 
My family has been blessed to have my Grandma as the family Matriarch for all these years.  She is a wonderful woman who has been through enough in one lifetime to have lived five.

 
Photo

Photo

Photo
 
Photo

After the big fancy party at the church, we all headed to my Grandma's for food.  My dad made my Grandpa Fred's enchiladas and we snacked on left over treats from the church.  And of course all the little ones wanted to be in the pool…so Grandma broke out the change and treated a lot of the great-grandkids to a special treat of diving for pennies.  My kids left after the church party, but I wasn't about to miss the rest of the party, even if I was exhausted after having to set up and clean up all day.




Grandma would toss money in the pool…we would all collect as much as possible…and then the next day we'd load up in the car (way too many of us?) and head to Pic n' Save to spend our change on new loot.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment