Friday, March 6, 2015

Kayaking


After lunch we got back in the van and headed toward the city of Fajardo.  Next up was the bioluminescent bay kayaking tour. We got signed in and got lifejackets and had a quick lesson on how to kayak.


Unfortunately that's my lesson did not help me or Rodica. We are not kayakers. We can do a lot of things but kayaking I don't think it's one of them. After crashing into a couple of trees on the 1 mile stretch of river lined by red mangrove trees that leads to the bay, one of the guides name John decided to take a little pity on us and give us the VIP tour.



This included comedy laughter and most importantly pulling us attached to his kayak. We were so happy and felt a little embarrassed at first but completely satisfied by the end. 



Once we got into the bay still attached to John we waited for darkness to close in and we were able to run your hands through the water and see it start to glow. While I was waiting I saw a jellyfish that was about maybe 6 inches across the top. I was a little scared but once I saw the sparkles in the water I didn't care. In order to get the full effect we cover ourselves with a giant tarp over about five kayaks. The pitch black view showed us incredible sparkles from the water.  As we scooped up water and poured it on ourselves, the water just came alive. It reminded me of Tinkerbell's ferry dust glimmering quickly all over us. 



We were also taught about many different constellations in the sky from John. But all too fast the tour was over and our wonderful tour guide it's just back up and took us through the trees again.  This time they were bats flying and there were giant tarp and fish following behind our the kayak.  Even in the darkness you could see their waves and their splashes. 


We were sad when the tour was over but were filled with wonderful memories.

 
We loaded back in the vans and headed home to the Marriott hotel in San Juan about an hour and 15 minutes away. Robyn was eagerly waiting for us to tell about all our adventures.  We talked while Rodica gave Robyn 30 or 40 minute neck and shoulder massage to help relax her enough so she could sleep.  Unfortunately, the sleep turn to talking. We talked way too late into the night and I finally shut off the light to try to make them go to sleep and so I could read!

No comments:

Post a Comment