Saturday morning we woke up, a bit later than expected began our journey to the beach. We were caravaning with Nana Carlys (w/Raelynn & Billy) cause Grandma Joyce had to have a pace maker put in suddenly and Grumpaw wanted to stay home until he knew she was alright.
The first 1/2 of the trip through AZ was quick at exactly 9 mph over the posted speed limit. But once we hit Yuma, there was a ton of construction and a 30 minute stop turned into a 90 minute traffic nightmare. Once on the road again, I set the cruise control for 9mph over. Oh wait! Boarder Patrol check point, one, then two (45 minute wait) and then three. Yes!!! Three check points. The last one had the stats that on I-8, in 2009, they had stopped 10,000 illegals trying to enter the country, seized thousands of pounds of drugs and thousands of illegal weapons. So remind we again why there is a problem with SB 1070?
So after the longest drive ever, we finally made it! We pulled up to the beach house at 4:45 and unloaded our vehicles. At 5:45 Carlys & I pulled into Costco to stock up on groceries. As we approached the front door, we saw that they closed at 6:00. Carlys ran to the food court to order our pizzas for dinner and I grabbed a cart and raced through the warehouse at about 9mph over the speed limit.
We returned home much more quickly than anticipated, but everyone was happy to have dinner. Once we had eaten, I hurried and unloaded the boxes and suitcases into their proper locations. At 8:00 we figured we'd better head to the grocery store and finish getting what we needed.
Once I got a chance to sit down and listen to the waves crash on the beach, I knew I was exhausted and just wanted to relax. I thought about the long and crazy day, but knew it was all worth it when Jake ran to me and said, "I Love the Beach."
I wish the day ended there, but it didn't! We still had to catch the grunion.
Derek looked up the dates and times that the grunion would be coming to the beach and it just so happened to be our first night. Carsen and Derek played in the water and looked for the fish for more than an hour.
holy crap. part of this post made me really sad and nervous and the other part made me really excited.
ReplyDelete1 - we are going to the beach in july. please take good notes for me on which route to take to get there - we dont travel by car a lot because jared freaks his pants with traffic and your story will push him over the edge.
2 - if i tell you what beach we are going to, can derek look up and see if there is a grunion run while we are there?
3 - i love that jake loves the beach - that totally made it all worth it!!
ceased = seized?
ReplyDeleter