Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Tuesday

We did not have any activities planned for Tuesday until the evening, so we hopped in the car and drove south. We made a few stops along the way, but it seemed like we drove and drove and drove.


One of our first stops was at the southern most point in the United States. We heard rumors (ok-we read about it) that there is a green sand beach on this island. Unfortunately, green sand is still just a myth to us. Once we were at the southern point, it was a 3+ mile hike across rough terrain to the green sand. We had not come prepared (in anyway) for a hike we could not complete in flip flops. We enjoyed the beautiful views for a few moments and then headed back to the highway.


Along South Point Road we saw windmills, cattle (that looked to be starving to death), horses, a few houses and some goats.

About 15 miles east of South Point Road, we found a black sand beach…a beach frequented by Sea Turtles (or so the books say).   I was excited because I had never seen a sea turtle up close and personal. 



We took in the sights and sounds for a bit and everyone decided it was time to leave.  I wasn't about to leave without seeing a turtle.


Anthony and I walked down the beach to the other end.  We looked and looked.  Nothing.  I asked a few families if they had seen anything and still nothing.  Fianlly be some miracle one of the kids I had talked to ran over and told me he had found one. There was one lonely Sea Turtle in a shallow pool of water. He was beautiful (of course)…and I was happy.


There was also a beautiful lily pond behind the beach (does that make sense?).


The foliage on the islands is incredible. Each island is completely different, but they are all incredibly green and lush. The beauty is simply magnificent. This lily pond was no exception. It was just a simple pond, but it really was beautiful.

The beach was incredible too. I love the black sand.


It’s course and not nearly as soft as some of the soft white sand beaches, but it’s just amazing.


We stopped for lunch at the United States most Southern Bakery. It was a fun little place…Hawaiian expensive, but a fun experience. I treated herself to some malasadas (Hawaiian pastries) and apple turnovers, everyone else was too chicken to try.



We made our way back to the condo just in time to get changed and over to the dock for our snorkel with the Manta Rays. What an amazing experience! Our small group (10-11 people) took a boat ride just outside the dock/harbor area and anchored to their moorings. We all dressed in wet suits (uh…no pictures of that please), grabbed snorkeling gear and jumped in the water.


We all held on to a special “float” with bright lights pointing directly down into the water. The bright lights attracted gigantic Manta Rays. We were lucky enough to get three rays to “perform” for us. The rays were all big; about 16 feet across. They swam so close we could have touched them without even trying…it was amazing.

Unfortunately, I did not have the same experience. The sea was very choppy, and the boat ride out started the motion sickness. Swimming in choppy water did not help. I held out as long as I could but snorkel experience ended with a bit of fish food...vomit.  I was so worried that my puke would float over on to someone, but with Randi's help, I got to the boat without dying of embarassment or motion sickness.

They served us hot Clam Chowder for a snack, but only Mike and Randi felt up to eating any. After we were home, and everyone’s stomach was back to dry land normal, the boys headed to Subway to grab a quick bite. Too bad everything in Kona closes super early….they ended up at Jack in the Box instead.

It was a very long day, but it was amazing to see the sites and to swim with the Manta Rays.

No comments:

Post a Comment