Over the last several weeks, we have been helping Neal to plan the perfect engagement idea for him to propose to Sydney. We were even invited to do a little ring shopping with Neal…and it was so much fun.
Neal was planning on making all this happen in October, but he decided that this weekend would be as long as he could wait. Robyn and Bill had plans to drive over to see Syd this weekend and invited Neal to come along. It was then turned into the idea of proposing while they were all at Disneyland (part of our original plan) Saturday night. The plans went back and forth most of the week, but by Friday night were mostly settled.
In the beginning…Neal and their group of friends were going to go to Disneyland in October to see Sydney. We devised the plan with Neal just perfectly for it to all come off as a surprise. It wasn't a surprise to anyone close to them that they were getting engaged…it was just the timing of the proposal. It still needed to be special…and a surprise.
Neal was over at Randi's house on Friday night while I was there helping. He had the ring and wanted to show us the final product. While he was there, he told us Sydney would be really excited and surprised if we were some how able to be there at Disneyland for the proposal.
Thus began the addition to the plan.
Randi and I figured out how we could get to Disneyland to surprise Sydney and be there for the big event. However, we didn't figure out all the details until 8:30am on Saturday. I got ready, tossed a few things in a bag, and Randi was on her way to get me. Once we got in the car, we high-fived…then we began the trek to Anaheim. I got on my iPad to make us a hotel reservation…one detail we hadn't quite worked out. Sadly, by the time we made it to McDowell…Randi had to pee. Damn. We were already rethinking our (long) spur of the moment road-trip.
We made our quick pit-stop and were back on the road. Randi and I had such a peaceful trip. We never even turned on the radio…we just enjoyed talking without interruption. The miles flew by. We were in contact with Neal via text message all day…trying to time everything just right.
We arrived at Disneyland a few minutes before 6pm, so we made our way back to the castle and waited for updates from Neal.
Sydney loves Cinderella. She also loves anything Disney (obviously). Don't we all?
While we were at Disneyland for our annual Christmas Girls' Trip in January…we went by the wishing well. Randi had never seen it before and decided to make a wish for a baby. We know that wish has come true, so Neal thought he would go there and make a wish of his own. So, Randi and I hid behind the wising well…near the back entrance to the castle.
A few minutes had passed when I spotted Bill…then Neal and Sydney making their way up the walkway to the wishing well. Neal was supposed to be telling Sydney their story…not sure what was said between them, but when they stopped to make a wish, Neal started to hand Sydney a quarter to toss in. She declined…and reached into her own purse to get her own money.
Meanwhile, Robyn was trying to take pictures, Bill was trying to videotape, Billy was just hanging out, I was also trying to video tape and Randi was also trying to take pictures. Sydney's back to was to us, so Randi thought Sydney wouldn't notice the flash…Oops! Randi and I were hiding in a tree…well…behind a tree, but Sydney turned to look right when Randi popped out to snap a photo. Damn. I'm pretty sure that part of the video needs to be edited from Randi's language, but I was sure Sydney saw Randi. Damn.
At that point, Sydney turned back around towards the fountain…I think she made her wish, and tossed in her penny. When she finished, Neal was down on one knee…he asked her if she wanted to make his wish come true. Sydney, of course, said yes. Neal stood up...they hugged and kissed for a few minutes and then we came out from our hiding spot.
Sydney was so excited to see us....and obviously about the rock on her finger. She ran up to us and we hugged. When the three of us finished hugging and screaming...Sydney got down and rubbed Randi's belly. Robyn and Bill were just as surprised as Sydney to see us and it was fun to keep it a surprise.
When we finished up at the wishing well, we all went to dinner at the Plaza Inn. Randi and I split a fried chicken dinner so we would be able to happily enjoy the other snacks we planned to indulge on. Everyone headed over to Space Mountain when we finished eating, but Randi stayed seated at our table while Robyn and Bill rented Randi a wheelchair.
The majority of us rode a few rides...we ate some yummy Disney snacks and then we headed back to the hotel. Sydney spent the night with us...it was our only "No Neal" time...and we were excited to get Syd alone for a few moments. I guess we'll have to get used to sharing her from now on.
On Sunday, we met up with everyone for breakfast. Randi and I decided to stay a little longer than we planned. We figured we should stay and have more Sydney time. We were really excited!!
We talked to Syd about going back to Disneyland for lunch...since we could get in for free and all. She was even able to get Randi's wheelchair for free!! Neal decided he would stay too...and ride home with us instead of Robyn and Bill. That took away any time we actually would have had with Sydney (especially since they made out constantly...in front of us, in front of little children waiting in lines, in the car the entire way home, even mid-sentence when they stopped short...they were making out some more), but we made the best of every second we could get with her.
We are so excited for Sydney and Neal. What an exciting new chapter in their lives. I love seeing Sydney so happy.
I am so glad we decided to go. It was so much fun to be there for Sydney and Neal's engagement. Randi and I agreed we missed Sydney more than we knew...it was so fun to see her and get to spend a few hours with her.
Now begins the wedding planning.





No comments:
Post a Comment