Jake has been waiting all year for a field trip. Not because he loves field trips, but because he could spend a school day with his mom. (I am not sure why some kids never want to leave their nest, but my 3 birds are stuck with Velcro. It is going to be tough, but we are going to separate at some point.)
Field trip Friday finally arrived and we headed to the Wildlife World Zoo. I decided to invite Derek and Carsen to go with us because it was only $8, instead of $28 to get them into the zoo and we had to head to Robyn's for an after wedding activity at lunch time. It worked out for everyone.
Our first stop was the Trout. That was Jake's project animal and it was the first thing on his list.
We spent the next hour looking around the aquariums. I have no idea what is so appealing about fish, but the boys all love them. I have to admit that there are some pretty colorful fish and some of the animals do interesting things I just don't get the infatuation.
We watched the otters go crazy for Nana.
We tried to make the puffer-fish puff.
We pet stingrays for Sydney and even fed them little shrimp.
The boys never got tired of looking at the water creatures.
After the aquarium we headed outside.
Jake really wanted to ride the little boat around the Australian Lagoon. Of all the rides and things to do, he wanted to look for fish in the water.
We saw all kinds of cool birds and baby ducks and geese, but no fish.
And for the first time in my life I saw a baby joey inside his mother's pouch. If that wasn't cool enough, I got to see him get out of that pouch too! That kangaroo is no small baby getting in and out of the pouch. I guess all breeds of mothers have to suffer for their children.
After the excitement of the boat ride, Carsen wanted to see the monkeys. We tootled around the rest of the zoo as we looked for them.
The tiger (only Jake is cool enough to really roar)
The zebra's butt & the camels were some favorites.
This time there was a new exhibit called "Dragon World" that had all kinds if lizards and other creatures in that family. Carsen was intrigued by the huge alligator and only ended up being about 1/2 it's length.
Finally we got to my favorite, to watch, not do and that is the giraffes.
The boys all took their turn to feed the tall creatures, even with the chance of being slimmed.
I don't know what it is about their tongue that never gets old. Maybe it's the way it curls?
Before we left the boys had to run and play at the little park. Just 5 more minutes...
No comments:
Post a Comment