Sunday, August 12, 2012

Touching Heaven, PAC NW 4/12

After a late night eating pie, we packed up the car once again and began to drive up the PCH.  We knew the drive would be long and windy, but also beautiful and magnificent.

I will never forget how peaceful the road felt.  There was beauty in every direction.  Around one corner were huge trees covered in moss, while the next corner was bathed in a fluffy, white cloud.  We rolled down the windows so we could all feel the clouds.  The boys laughed and giggled with excitement.  They talked and speculated about what might be waiting around the next turn. 



We were exstatic by our find of Elk eating right next to the road, but



the next turn was more beautiful than any of us could imagine...



the roaring of water, the crashing of waves, the coolness of wind, the formations of rocks, the blackness of sand, the emanate stopping of the car.



None of us could contain our spirits in our seated bodies one more second.  We had to get out and experience it. 








 
We got our feet sandy & wet.  We stood and took a deep breath of the fresh, salty air.  It was awesome, until we had ice sickles danging off of our noses.  Then we all ran back to the warmth of the car.



Again we drove on in the beauty.  Stopping for construction, animals, slow drivers that need their license revoked and fishing.  Blessed fishing.



From the 101 we headed NE on another slow, windy, 2 line highway in an effort to return to I-5.  We were loving the sights, but did really want to get to our Portland area destination.  But the winding Smith River was more temptation than we could handle.


The boys desire to be one with nature was too strong to ignore so we stopped at a little pull out and followed the trail to the river.  Again, the beauty took my breath away.


Carsen & Jake played in the freezing cold water while Derek started to fish. 




Jake was sure he could catch a little minnow with his bare hands.  He tried and tried.


Derek had a lot better luck with his flies.  He was able to catch 2 trout.





The water was as blue and clear as the Caribbean.  I couldn't see anything more than the little minnows by the shore.  I was sure Derek was going to be disappointed with this spot and want to try another.



Luckily, I was wrong.  He was successful.  Those little trout must have some great camouflage.



Soon enough there were more people and pets than I could handle, which meant it was time to move on.  Back up into the car and around the winding roads!  Finally!  We found the sign that said...



We knew we still had to drive across the entire state and into Washington to find Doug & Kristi's home in Battle Ground, but after all the winding roads, we had our little light at the end of the tunnel.


About 8pm we pulled down a long driveway and turned onto the most beautiful, green property.  Honestly, the first thing I saw was a bush of my favorite flowers, hydrangea.  I knew I must have truly found heaven.


 
We were warmly greeted with a tour of the property, followed by a delicious home cooked meal, courtesy of Chef Doug.  It was amazing.






After we got the car unloaded and we began to get settled for the night, we noticed Kristi had put together the most wonderful welcome baskets with everything we could have possibly needed during our stay, except clothes.  She is so generous and awesome.  I have been so blessed to have her in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment