Thursday, September 20, 2012

Monster Root

Derek was a pretty slow teether.  He didn't get his first tooth until 10 months of age.  He didn't get his 6 year molars until he was 10. 
 
This late eruption has also seemingly postponed his baby teeth from falling out.  Only 8 have fallen out so far. 
 
His next issue is that he grinds his teeth.  A few weeks ago when we were at the dentist she said that he had ground down those stubborn baby teeth so bad that the silver crown he has was ground through and one of his cavitity fillings had been ground through and an abscess was forming.  She referred us to the orthodontist and to an oral surgeon.  Before we could get an appointment with either of those specialists, the abscess became very large and painful.
 
 
 
 
I called the dentist first thing the morning following the complaint.  Dr. Jane was very concerned and squeezed him in that morning for an extraction.   
 

 
 
Derek was brave and did very well, but I was in shock at the size of the roots on the extracted tooth.  I am not even sure it can be classified as a root.  It is seriously more like a bone.
 

 
 
I know that these pictures can not do this any justice, but believe me when I say it was unbelievable.
 

 
 
He still has at least 3 teeth that have to come out surgically and I am interested to see if they all look like this.  Maybe now, without this bony blockade, his permanent teeth can finally come in.



No comments:

Post a Comment