In September, I got a letter home from Jake's school saying that he failed the vision screening. I called and talked to Regina about where she had Hayden tested and then started googling pediatric optometrists. I found a doctor in Scottsdale that does a comprehensive eye exam that includes a sensorimotor eye exam. This part of the exam is unique because it looks at eye tracking and movement as well as ability to see. This plays a role in learning disabilities, AD/HD, dyslexia and other disorders so I figured with our family history, it wouldn't hurt to be thorough. Besides, I was sure that Jake could see just fine. He can read after all. He has never said that he can't see. But, I had to return a paper to the school with the results from an eye exam and I wasn't going to be "that parent" that didn't return the paper.
So a few weeks later we went to our appointment. We met Dr. Glonek and felt comfortable with him immediately. Shortly after we began he asked Jake to cover his left eye and read the letters on the wall. Jake looked confused and said he couldn't. I thought he was being shy. This behavior continued until we got to the biggest letter on the chart, which he still had to just guess at. I was shocked. After the same questions were asked with the right eye covered, the doctor looked into his eyes with a light. He said that the results of the light test was right in line with Jake's responses.
Dr. G completed his testing after over an hour and diagnosed him with Amblyopia (Even though the eye appears healthy and has the best optical corrections, vision is still not 20/20) in his right eye. Astigmatism (due to an irregular shape of one part of the eye, objects focus in two points instead of just one point, causing a blur) in both eyes, Hyperopia (farsightedness) in his left eye, Myopia (near sightedness) in his right eye and Suppression (a condition where the brain ignores all or part of the information being sent from one eye, thus seeing with one eye when both eyes are open) in his right eye.
My poor baby hasn't been able to see most of his life; the doctor estimated since about 2 years old. The doctor told me not to feel guilty because there would be not way for me to know that he had a problem. He didn't even know he had a problem.
The treatment plan came as follows: 1. get glasses 2. patch his good eye after school until bedtime, 4-5 hours a day and 3. receive vision therapy to teach his right eye how to work again. So far we have completed step one. We have our next appointment in 2 weeks and will start patching and schedule for therapy at that time.
Jake is super excited about his glasses. He counted down the days on the calendar until they came in and has worn them faithfully ever since. On the drive over to the office, on Loop 101, I told Jake to look at things out his window so he could tell me the differences he saw with his glasses on the way home. Before we even made it onto the freeway after the appointment, Jake exclaimed, "Look how bright and shiny the rocks are!" He also commented, "There are mountains out there and houses way out there too!" "I can read all the letters and numbers on the license plates now!" and he proceeded to do so. He made comments the entire drive back to school. When we got there he didn't want me to go in with him to his class. He didn't want to take a special treat to everyone to celebrate. He just wanted to be big and go back to class.
While Jake was talking the entire trip back I smiled and reassured. All the while my heart sank. I even got a few tears in my eyes. I am so happy that he can see, I just feel awful about all the things he has missed. I pray that other children will not make fun of him and that he will be able to stand up to the bullies when he needs to. I am so thankful for a good doctor and for amazing glasses that will help my boy see. Yes, now he really can see.
I remeber when Billy HATED going in the car because he couldn't see. He used to always get really car sick and would cry because driving gave him a headache.
ReplyDeleteTaking treats for getting glasses is not something you do for boys...You poor girls were not well trained by our mother, in the art of raising boys...rr
ReplyDeleteMy daughter is almost 12 and in kindergarten I had the same thing with the note, but they had suspected something at the pre-K dr. visit but didn't do anything and so over the years her eyes are still changing but not as much they did the first two years. The thing that worried me the most that she never had that "ah ha" moment - so it is good your son did! She wants to get contacts but we still have the bad stigmatism, but all the rest of other problems have gone away. Good luck and tell him to keep working, it's really important!!
ReplyDelete