This is one of those posts that has no pictures because the actual event makes you so mad, you aren't thinking straight, or about blogging it later.
A couple weeks ago Derek and Carsen begged to have Brennan and DJ spend the night. I love these boys. They are over all the time and they typically get along, so why not?
About 10 pm I put Jake to bed because he had an early baseball game. Once he was in bed I told the other boys that they needed to go to bed in about 30 minutes. DJ had a soccer game early, Brennan had early baseball practice and Derek had a weekend baseball tournament. They all needed sleep and agreed to go to bed. I set the timer for them and then I left for the store.
When I returned just minutes before midnight, I could hear the boys all running through the house as they tried to jump into bed without me noticing. Oh I noticed and I was mad. I told them they had better get to sleep.
Once the car was unloaded, I could still hear them goofing around. Derek and DJ were up making stupid paracord bracelets and Brennan and Carsen were talking and laughing, right next to the sleeping Jake. I yelled this time and told them that they had better get to sleep because if I heard them again I was going to take them home.
Things seemed to settle down from there, or so I thought. Wrong! About 2 am I heard a ruckus down the hall. When I got up to investigate I saw DJ, Carsen & Brennan all running and laughing. I walked to the kitchen where Derek was and asked him what was going on. His response shocked me. He told me that the boys had poured Carmel on him in his sleep and he was up trying to clean himself up.
What? I walked quickly down the hall, only to walk in something very slimy and nasty. I turned on Derek's light and saw his bed covered in all kinds of mystery substances. I then saw the same muck on the carpet, in the hall and into Carsen's room. It was also all over all the bedding that the boys had gotten out for the sleep over.
Sure enough the boys were arguing about who was responsible and who was going to take the blame. DJ came up with the idea to play a prank on the sleeping Derek. The other 2 boys agreed and the mess began. Carsen poured a drinkable yogurt, DJ poured apple dipping Carmel and Brennan poured the glue on a sleeping Derek.
I made the boys get up and clean up what they could in the middle of the night. Then I lectured all of them equally. I think they finally went to sleep about 3am. I finally fell asleep about 4. At 7 the alarm went off and I had to get up with Jake. Before we left for his game I sent DJ home and called his mom. She was livid. Margene met us at Jake's game and she too was mortified. She left the game early to get Brennan for baseball practice. She then returned him from 12-2 to help in operation clean it! The boys had to clean anything I told them to.
Once I got home Carsen was up and cleaning. He cleaned from 10-2 without so much as a drink break. He was grounded from friends and electronics for 1 week. He has yet to have another sleepover. He didn't seem too bothered by his punishments at first, but when he had to sit at the baseball park for 7 hours in the cold with nothing to do, the reality set in and the remorse began.
I know kids will be kids. I know pranks will happen again. I only hope that it isn't at my house or on my carpet!
No comments:
Post a Comment