I love the time each year when I get to load up and head to Disney with my sisters. This year was a bit different, but who doesn't love to shake things up a bit? Right? Randi and I were left to our own devices this year's travel. Robyn was already in CA on business & Kristi was arriving via airplane, so off West we drove. We made a quick stop at the outlets along the way, but other than that we laughed and talked the entire way to Anaheim...we never even turned the radio on. We haven't had uninterrupted time together in memory. I loved it!
The next morning I awoke to the sound of the shower. I wasn't too surprised because Robyn is always up first and I always share a room with her. But wait. This year I was sleeping with Randi. I awoke with confusion. Randi was the first one in the shower...and that NEVER happens. Usually the car is driving away as she's running from the hotel room...she has never been the first one up and ready. Motherhood does strange things to people, I guess.
Once at Disney, we headed for California Adventure first in hopes of getting a Fast Pass for the new Radiator Springs ride in the NEW Cars Land. We were out of luck, so we meandered around Cars Land admiring what an amazing job Disney always does.
We went on Scream...I love that roller coaster! The Toy Story ride was closed, so we didn't get to go on it this year. We meandered around a few gift shops and ran into Santa. We had to have a picture for his naughty or nice list before we headed over to Disneyland.
As we walked under the bridge to head down Main Street, we noticed hundreds of white folding chairs, risers, music stands, etc...and had to ask what was going on. A guy in the magic shop told us it was the Candlelight Ceremony. We asked if this was the first year, but the guy looked at us a little like we were crazy and then said, "Uh...No, it's been happening every year since the 60's." Oh....??? We explained we are there every year for Christmas, but have never even heard of it. I guess normally Candlelight is only two nights (four shows)...and it's by invitation only. THIS year, however, they were doing it for 20 nights with two shows a night. The shows were still invitation only, but he mentioned the Club 33 members were often invited. We thanked him and continued down Main Street.
We rode Thunder Mountain (the best ride at Disneyland) and Pirates, walked around for a bit and then decided to head back to the hotel for an early night. On our way out we stopped at Guest Relations to asked about the reserved seating I had heard about for Fantasmic. Randi decided to inquire a little more about this whole Candlelight nonsense...since we had never even heard of it...and we wanted to know more. She explained that we had reservations for Club 33 the next day for lunch...and wondered if that somehow qualified us for tickets for the same night. The customer service woman wasn't sure, so she went to ask someone. She came back and asked if we were busy right then because she had four tickets for us, but they were for the show starting in five minutes. We didn't know what the show was, but we decided to stay and check it out.
We were so thankful we made that smart decision.
We were so thankful we made that smart decision.
Candlelight started with all the lights going dark on Main Street while a choir made its way down Main Street toward the Train Depot to the stage at the front of the park...all while singing Christmas music. The only light was from the candles they were carrying. There was an orchestra accompanying them...and it was all beautiful.
In the beginning, I was not thrilled with our seats. We were so far to the side that we could not see ANY of the orchestra or any of the stage/performers. It turned out that our seats were pretty cool. We still couldn't see a thing going on at center stage, but we were directly down from Edward James Olmos, who was our guest narrator...who the Christmas story from the Bible...with musical numbers throughout. Right in front of us was the beautiful man interpreting in sign language. I don't think I ever realized how expressive signing music is. It was incredible. Kristi's parents are both deaf, so it was significant to her also. All four of us could not take our eyes off the interpreter. The show lasted for about 50+ minutes. It was such an awesome experience.
After the show we went to Cheesecake Factory for dinner and then ended up back at the hotel.
On Friday we HAD to be at the park by 10am to meet up with Marty & Keely. Marty works with Robyn...and we love him. I have felt like I've known him for years because Robyn talks so much about him, but it was fun to actually meet him at Sydney's wedding. And it was even more fun to spend the day with him and his awesome wife. Robyn invited them to spend the day with us and go to Club 33 with us too. The day could not have been better!
We started in California Adventure to try for fast passes again. No luck. We were told they are sold out within the first hour every day. We wandered around and had a good time...went on Soarin' and Tower of Terror. I had never been on Tower of Terror before...and got pressured into going for some reason with Keely & Marty...and all the little kids getting on the ride. I did NOT like it at all. No joke....I screamed, "I don't like this ride! I don't like this ride!" the entire time. Everyone was laughing so hard. When I say "everyone" was laughing...I mean everyone on the ride with us. They thought it was hilarious. I am so glad I could give everyone a good little chuckle.
We made it over to Disneyland in time to ring the doorbell for our Club 33 reservation at 12:45pm. I will say this...it really was just as much fun the second time. There were no surprises, but it was still an awesome experience. I got the filet again this year, and it was just as delicious.
We we ate our yummy food and loaded up on desserts until we were stuffed. I bought this year's Club 33 ornament for my Christmas tree, took some pictures...and then it was time to leave. I'm guessing that was my last Club 33 experience. Cross it off the bucket list TWICE! Super cool experience that not many people get to have...let alone twice.
Marty was pretty smart and sweet because he left the Club, while we were still on the balcony over looking the park, to take our picture.
We rode Peter Pan and meandered around awhile before we headed back over to California Adventure to finally ride the new Radiator Springs ride. We waited FOREVER, but we did finally get to ride it. It was pretty cool. The wait was a bit excessive, but I'm glad we did it.
Then we walked all the way back over to the Carnation Cafe for dinner. Just as we were finishing up our food the fireworks started. I was NOT going to miss them so I ran out of the restaurant to watch them. Randi was right behind me...since they are our favorite thing. I'm so glad we did. We would have missed them all together for the entire trip if we hadn't left the table when we did. We watched the show and then enjoyed the magic of the snow on Main Street.
On Saturday we slept in...and when we did get up I didn't feel well. I brushed it off, we all got ready, and then headed out to do some eating/shopping before heading to Disneyland for fireworks. We were looking for a place called Bruxie that Marty told us about. As we were getting close...I knew I was going to puke. And puke I did...a lot. Luckily she got the door open first.
We skipped Bruxie and Robyn drove me back to the hotel. The girls got take out and relaxed in the hotel room for the afternoon while I napped. When I wwoke up I thought I was feeling better, so we decided to head out to a couple stores and to watch fireworks. After finding a new shirt for Raelynn at Downtown Disney, I did NOT feel well. We ended up skipping fireworks and heading back to the hotel. I was so sad to miss the fireworks. I felt horrible for making the others miss it, but I was literally ready to lie down on the concerete and sleep.
The next morning we packed up all our crap and drove home. I was feeling a lot better, but definitely not 100%. We drove straight home and did not look back.
I'm so thankful I was able to get away for a few days. I really love every minute that I get to be with my sisters.


No comments:
Post a Comment