Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Summer 2013 Road Trip Day Three: Morrison

After a very long night, we all slept in, which wasn't a big problem, because sleep and happiness are far more important than seeing a historical mansion.  We also had to pick Sydney up from the airport at lunchtime, which was a little less optional.  So I finally rolled out of bed, but as I was getting ready to get into the shower, Sydney called to tell me they too had over slept, but she missed her very important flight.  Robyn booked her on another flight coming in at 5:00pm.  (just a note: 5pm on a Friday, in a big city, isn't a big idea)
 
So again I adjusted our plans and we began our touristy adventures in Morrison.  Our first stop was at the Morrison Museum of Natural History.  The curator there was amazing.  He taught us all new things, but made them relevant to today.  He had the kids intrigued and thinking.  Just the way he presented the information was awesome.  It was a great place to visit!  Once we got started looking at things, I went to grab my phone to take pictures of the boys.  Much to my chagrin, my phone had been left behind at the hotel.  I tried to stay calm in the wake of such a huge disaster.  Derek had his phone and I had my regular camera.  We texted Sydney to let her know to call Derek when she landed instead of me.  We then proceeded through the museum.




 
This is the skull of a T-Rex.


 
Real foot print fossils found in CO.

 
Every dinosaur fossil in the museum was found in CO.
 
 
We also got to see a snake eat a mouse.  It was cool, but nasty!  I guess they are the ancestors of something that lived in the ice age?

 
 
Carsen was brave enough to touch one of the nasty creatures.
 


 
The triceratops is a relative of this monitor lizard.  The boys tried to convince me we should get one for a pet.  Luckily, I held firm on my NO answer.
 
 
 
 
At the end of the tour, the kids were able to help excavate a dinosaur fossil that was found about 30 years ago in the mountains around Morrison.
 
  They assisted the paleontologist in removing small pieces of stone from this piece of the mountain.  It was pretty cool.  Derek was even able to use the tool by himself!





 
After we left the museum we wandered around this little town.  The weather was in the 70's and the boys just wanted to walk along the river walk.  Once we had spotted all the different fish and other wild life, we shopped in a few shops and ate lunch.


 
 
Next we headed to Tiny Town Railroad.  The kids were almost too big for it.  In fact, Derek waited in the car with his cell phone. 

 



 
 
 The place was set up as a miniature town with all these little building.  Around the town was a railroad.  The railroad was big enough for us to ride on and it was fun.
 
 

 
As we rode the train, we spotted swings, so as soon as we got off, Carsen ran for the swings.  He loves to swing and was so excited to have a chance to use them.  We didn't mind the light mist that came down on us.  It was light and refreshing!
 
 
Before we got in the car to head to the airport, Jake spotted this deer next to the parking lot.  She was eating purple flowers and just enjoying the day.  The boys always love to see wildlife.  We encountered a lot of traffic on our way to get Sydney, but we finally made it to the airport, Bass Pro Shops, Target and BJ's and then back at the hotel for a dip in the hot tub!  After the hot tub I remembered to check my phone.  Little did I know that Mike had been in an accident while on duty and Randi needed help with Cody.  I couldn't do much from hundreds of miles away, but I did make a few phone calls to get the ball rolling for some help.  I will not make that phone mistake ever again!   

No comments:

Post a Comment