Day 2 began with all 3 boys getting up early to go fishing at the river together. I was so happy to sleep in a little bit longer. I am so NOT a morning person. I think I could stay in bed until noon every day, if someone would let me.
Once the boys came back we headed down stairs to Applebees for breakfast. While we were waiting for our food Jake decided to try out his new sling shot.
He grabbed a packet of sugar and accidentally shot it across the restaurant. There was only one other couple in the entire place and Jake just happened to shoot it right over the woman's head. It was like slow motion; watching the packet fly right towards the other booth. Luckily it missed her and she laughed.
After breakfast we loaded our bags in the car and took one last, longing look at the river before we got in the car and started across the US-160.
We drove along this beautiful road until we made it to wolf pass creek. Anytime there was water, we had to stop and fish it.
Or play in it.
or swim in it.
I enjoyed sitting on a rock and reading a book in between photos. Once I convinced the fisherman to leave, we continued to drive from small town to small town all across southern Colorado. A few towns after our stop Jake started screaming; a blood curdling scream. He saw screaming like he was literally being chased with a gigantic knife or something. "I have a creature in my pants," he screamed repeatedly. I yelled for the boys to try to help him. In my mind all I could see were leaches or something from the river all over his body inside of his swim suit. Neither of the boys could see anything on him and he wouldn't stop screaming, so the first chance I got, I pulled off the road. I threw the car into park, flung open my door and ripped Jake's door open. With a mother's fear I yanked off his seat belt and ripped off his swim suit. Nothing was there! I checked over him repeatedly and then feared that the "creature" was loose in the car! Where was it? What was it? It was then that we saw a single ant fall from Jake. I asked him if the ant was, "the creature in his pants," and he confirmed that indeed it was and that it had bitten his "nooders" (nuts/scrotum/balls). We laughed about that the rest of the day!
We finally made it to I-25 about the same time as a huge storm. We drove in the pouring rain for the next 2-3 hours until we made it to our hotel just outside of Denver in Westminster. Once we were settled, we headed to Quaker Steak and Lube for dinner.
And as tradition calls for, we ended the night with a dip in the hot tub. Only the night really didn't end there. After the hot tub, the boys showered and snuggled up in their beds and drifted off into a peaceful sleep. I read my book for a couple hours and drifted off to sleep about 1 am.
The next thing I knew the fire alarm was blaring in our room. I shot out of bed, trying to figure out what was going on, what time it was, if I could make the loud noise stop before the boys woke up; a million thoughts all at once. After 5 minutes of pacing and waiting I decided to get dressed and wake the boys up. Two minutes later we were walking out the door and the alarm stopped. I sighed a heavy sigh and told the boys to get back into bed. I took off my purse and shoes and sat down on my bed. No sooner had I laid down then the alarm was blasting again. This time we got out the door more quickly and headed to the stairs.
As we trudged down the 6 flights of stairs we passed several fire fighters, in all their gear, heading up. We made our way into the lobby and found a place to stand with a host of other guests. Not a minute had passed when the alarm stopped. Thank goodness. We watched the hotel staff and a fire fighter fumble around with the alarm for five more minutes before they told us we could all head back to our rooms. There was not fire, just a problem with the alarm.
We climbed back up the 6 flights of stairs to our penthouse suite (ha ha) and I re-tucked my boys into bed. I got back into bed and tried to go to sleep. I tossed and turned a bit, but finally fell back to sleep, just as the alarm started to ring again. This time Carsen immediately woke up and was scared by the loud noise. I sat next to him and kept him calm until it stopped. Unfortunately, this same routine continued about 15 minutes from 3:00am until 7:00am. Poor Carsen was beside himself. I wrapped pillows around his head every time the alarm sounded and Jake lovingly snuggled up to him to help him feel safe. Derek never even moved a muscle the entire time. He was fast asleep and didn't hear a sound!
No comments:
Post a Comment