I don't get to fly very often. It is still a fun treat to me. I think the first time I ever flew was with my Dad to San Francisco to visit my Aunt Janice before she passed away. I think I was a young teenager then. I remember how special it was with just me and my dad. As the airplane started accelerating down the runway, my dad was holding my hand telling me how many miles per hour we were going. I remember getting all giddy as the wheels lifted off the ground and loved looking out the window at the vanishing city below. My dad could point out where different road were and different points of interest. I thought he was so smart and we were so cool to be flying!
Most of our family lives so close that we haven't had a lot of opportunity for our kids to fly.
When Carsen turned 5 and Derek turned 8 we took them on their first flight to Disneyland, but Jake was too small and had to stay home. Now that Jake is almost 8 I thought it would be a great time for him to soar with me! We were able to fly with Nana Carlys to Sacramento for Bella's special baptism day and a few days of cousin fun!
Our flight was supposed to leave Thursday night at 8pm, but we were delayed until after 9pm, which gave us time to eat dinner, explore the shops, ride the moving side walk and watch planes come and go.
I tried to be as cool as my dad, telling Jake how fast we were going and pointing out things that were lit up around the city, but lets face it, I was just making it up as we went. Good thing he believed every word I said. Once we landed we allowed everyone to exit the plane ahead of us and Nana asked if Jake could visit the cockpit. The pilot was super nice and even pushed a bunch of different buttons that made different noises for Jake to hear. I really enjoyed it myself.
Next we rode a sky train to the baggage terminal, got our bags and headed outside to hop a ride to the rental car offices. After driving to Ryan's in Folsom, it must have been midnight. Jake couldn't rest until I was all settled in beside him. It was an exciting night!
P.S. On our way home I could actually tell where we were over the city and really did point out our neighborhood to Jake! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment