Friday, July 30, 2010

Sutter's Fort and such

Today Nana and I took all 6 kids and headed into Sacramento to explore Sutter's Fort. The fort was used in the early 1800's. The fort was pretty self sufficient with a blacksmith, bakery, store, mercantile exchange, armory, gunsmith, clothier, doctor, and a few more I can't remember.

My boys were most interested in the gunsmith. We learned all about the guns of that period, including the bayonet.

The boys were able to learn about both the bayonet and 4lb cannon. They were both fired for the fort patrons and everyone loved it!



After the kids were historied out, the boys wanted to go explore the pond they had seen on their way in. They saw fish of all sizes, but were eventually scared off by a large creature scurrying out of a bush & into the water.

Nana & I decided it was lunch time so we set off to find a McDonald's with a play ground for the kids. We spent 1.5 hours driving to & calling every McDonald's between Sacramento & Folsom. The one we did find was closed for cleaning & repairs. At the final stop, there was no play ground, but everyone was so hungry we got out and ate anyway. After we took the kids to a local park, but at 97 degrees that didn't last long for young & old alike.

It had been a very long day for me & Nana. I guess Nana had had it, because she actually drank a 1/2 glass of orange soda with her dinner. The "nectar of the gods" just wasn't cutting it today.

After dinner Nana, Michelle & Emily got spruced up and headed out to see the musical "Oklahoma" down in Sacramento. I helped the men-folk hold down the fort and prepare for a very special day for Emily tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment