Derek has asked for a cell phone for more than a year. We have turned him down over and over. The more activities he gets involved in, the more often we find ourselves giving him our phone and being without. Anthony finally talked me into giving Derek a phone for his birthday, but didn't plan on letting him in on our little secret. We fibbed and lied for days about not giving him a phone. On the morning of his birthday he asked me if I got him a phone and I said no. I didn't want to give it to him until Anthony was home to be part of it. He immediately got depressed. He got out of the car at school with 3 dozen Krispy Kreme donuts and the longest face in the world. I felt horrible.
When he got home from school he still looked awful. I couldn't take it anymore. I had Jake bring in Derek's presents. First he opened bag number one. Inside was a fabulous toy cell phone. While he tried to figure out the joke, I dialed his new phone number. The ringing of his favorite song, "Grenade" began to play in bag number two. He began to look around and then ripped open the ringing bag.
The look on his face was pure happiness. This phone had caused him a lot of anguish at school with his peers and he could finally be at peace.
We were supposed to hit Red Lobster for dinner, but we ran out of time. Instead we ate at Smash Burger so we would be back in time for our guests.
We had over both sets of grandparents, Shelley and family and Randi.
He wanted Nana Carlys to make him a carrot cake this year. No special theme or decorations, just delicious. She never fails to deliver.
After cake and ice cream, Derek opened his presents.
He made out like a king. He said he was in the market for a fishing rod.
But before he could make it to Cabella's, he wanted to make it to Red Lobster. So Saturday night, after the other boys were in bed, just mom and Derek headed out for a late dinner.
Derek was set on ordering his favorite food: Lobster. I was OK with the paying for the tail, but he wanted the 3 pound big daddy. I refused to pay 50 dollars for that creature. He came up with the solution to pay for the Lobster himself with his birthday money. No matter how many reasons I gave him for saving the money, he said he wanted to learn on his own if this was a good idea or not. So he meandered to the tank and picked out a lobster.
The entire restaurant was watching and clapping over the Lobster. He ate it and loved it!
We had a wonderful waitress that treated Derek like a King. He was greatful enough to give her a large tip and big thank you. What a wonderful end to an exciting 11th birthday!
No comments:
Post a Comment