Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dam. Dam. Dam. (1/6)

As most of the world knows, I am a speech therapist.  I worked in the public schools in a special needs preschool for 10 years, but when Jake was born, I knew that I couldn't go to work full time and leave my 3 babies.  Robyn helped me come up with a plan to become self employed and see children in their homes 2 days a week.  Over the last five years I have loved being home with my kids and many of the families I have worked with.  The one thing I miss, is my friends.  I worked with some awesome ladies (some not so awesome ladies too) named Judy and Betty and I still miss them severely!  I really loved every minute of working with them.  But time moves forward and everything changes, no matter how hard we try to stop it.

I have received so many blessings that have allowed me to continue this job and still remain part time.  One being that about 4 years ago, one of my kiddos started receiving services at his respite sitter's home.  The respite sitter, Kari, had a handicap child of her own and really knew all the ins and outs of therapy.  I was petrified that she knew more than I did and wouldn't think I did a great job.  Over time I started to see more of the kids she and her mom took care of, meaning I was there 3-4 hours a week.  During this time we talked and shared and worked with the children.  We also had the opportunity to work with an occupational therapist who was wonderful and somehow these ladies have become some of my closest friends.

Well over the years the OT, Rodica, Pat, Kari's mom, and I have taken our fair share of trips.  We love to travel.  Poor Kari has gone on family vacations and trips to Shriner's in Salt Lake with her daughter, but in the last 12 years since she has had children she has never been away.  We decided it was time for a change.

About 6 months ago we planned a girls weekend to Vegas.  Just the 4 of us!  We have been counting down the months, weeks and days and on June 10 the trip finally arrived!  The girls came to pick me up at 8:50 am, right on schedule.  We hopped in the van and headed north-west!

We laughed and talked all the way to Kingman where we stopped for lunch.  After lunch we headed for Hoover Dam and the gigantic new memorial bridge over the dam.


Rodica being the sweet little lady that she is, made us park and take the long hike up to the pedestrian walkway on the bridge.


I was reluctant cause it was HOT and I am lazy, but we did it!


Once we were on top, it was amazing and the hike was much shorter than I anticipated!


The view was breath taking and we were all proud of ourselves for being brave enough to try it!


After a little photo sessions, we jumped back in the van and didn't stop until Vegas Baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment