I am sitting in the office listening to Carsen, Jake and DJ (one of our neighbors) play together. I am enjoying them counting to 50 and hiding throughout the house, making up rules for inside baseball and "sneaking" snacks during intermissions. I love when kids play. To me it is the essence of childhood. I remember many a fond hour of my childhood playing "house" in the corner of the garage, playing in the front yard and running through the sprinklers. Oh to just play. My kids are really good at it. They can play inside for hours and outside for days. Carsen and Jake always get along. And even better, Carsen's friends always include Jake and are super nice to him.
Tonight they are up late because tomorrow they are off school. Teacher in service or something lame. So tomorrow Derek will watch the boys while I go to work.
I guess my little boy is growing up and becoming trustworthy and responsible. I remember Derek's 4th grade teacher telling me, at one of our many conferences, that her son who also had ADHD finally did his first responsible thing. He was a senior in high school. 18 years old. I went home and cried. I thought that I would have to endure that same nightmare. My son has made me proud. Sometimes he drives me crazy with his antics, but mostly he is doing great. His medications are all working perfectly, and that makes him almost perfect. Well, from 9 to 9 anyway. He is doing his homework on his own, without me asking/begging, he does his chores with little to no reminders and he is super helpful. What more could a mother ask for?
No comments:
Post a Comment