Last Friday Derek celebrated his 12th birthday! How in the world did that happen? I have no idea where the last 12 years went, but it did and here we are.
Derek had a slumber party with a few of his best friends. I happened to be at the hospital with Randi, watching her give birth to Cody during the party so I missed most of it. Luckily, I have everything purchased and ready to go. We had even decorated the night before, just by chance so that was ready to go too. Anthony did a great job running the show. The boys played football at the grass knoll near our house and they Anthony BBQ Burgers and Dogs for the boys. After dinner, they played video games, made a fire and just hung out and talked.
When I got home about 10:30pm we sang Happy Birthday to Derek, even though he wasn't sure we should (it might not be cool in front of the friends ya know). We ate Nana's yummy white cake with white frosting cake that was to die for. My diet did die for it, but man it was worth it!
Derek picked out his cake and Nana made it to his precise specifications. I guess when you turn 12 you just want plain. All the fancy cakes aren't cool anymore.
I am sure he made a wish for something wonderful, but he won't tell.
Here are the boys Nathan, Alec, Derek, Elijah and Justin (Jared went home about 930pm). They were all well mannered and good kids, which is a nice change from some of the friends in the past. They even included Carsen & Jake in most of their activities without a single complaint. The boys went to bed about 2am and woke up about 8am. A couple of the boys had breakfast before they went home about 10am.
For lunch we went to Uncle Sam's to get cheese steak sandwiches with Papa Tony, Nana Rose and the Fleshers. He got lots of money and gift cards from them and from his friends. He was excited to fill up his wallet.
The two of us ended the day with a long trip to Thunderbird Hospital to meet his birthday buddy Cody Michael. I didn't know how excited Derek was until I couldn't get a turn to hold the baby and he wouldn't leave. What a fun birthday present.
On a side note for Derek when he is older... Derek wanted an I phone for his birthday. He has been begging for one since Christmas. "All my friends have one," he would beg. Anthony and I told him no repeatedly because he was too young and they are too expensive. Not only is the phone a lot, but the $35.00 a month to keep it working was ridiculous. He got a phone last year for his birthday and he has it off most of the time. When he does use it, it is usually for texting. Derek tried begging, crying, bribing, manipulation and threats. None of them worked. I tole him life wasn't fair. I named all of his friends that really didn't have an iphone or any kind of phone for that matter. I even told him the story about how much I wanted Guess jeans when I was his age and how everybody else had them but me. I never got them and I turned out okay. I totally understand peer pressure and wanting to fit in and have all the cool stuff, but sometimes, it just isn't possible to have EVERYTHING you want. I am not sure when he came to terms with the fact that he wasn't getting an iphone, but he did. He ended up with the next best thing, his own ipod touch. He loves it and everyone is happy, for now...
Happy Birthday Derek we love you so much! We are so proud of you.
No comments:
Post a Comment