Sunday, June 30, 2013

jake (finally) rides a bike

Jake refused to ride a bike at age 3,4,5 & 6.  At age 6 the eye doctor told us he probably didn't ride because of his visual issues.  Even the mention of riding a bike made Jake run for the hills and so that made sense to me.  Well at the end of May Jake came up to me and said, "I think I am ready to ride a bike."  So we immediately went outside to try the bikes.  It had been so long since we had used the bikes that Jake's was way too small and the tires were flat.  All of the other bikes also had flat tires and a few other assorted technical problems.  Anthony and Derek were at baseball so I told Jake he had to wait until Dad could help us get the bikes up and running.   
 



The next evening when I walked in the door from work, Jake was ready and waiting to ride a bike.  Anthony thought that Carsen's bike was the prefect size for Jake and he was right, but it had no training wheels so we would just have to go for it!
 


 
I wasn't really excited to run up and down the street hanging on to the back of a bike, but I knew I should do what was best for my boy.  Amazingly enough, my silent prayers to avoid death were answered because as soon as I let go of the bike seat, Jake rode off down the street!



It was then that I realized I hadn't taught him about the brakes.  Thank goodness he didn't end up needing them because he was just zipping up and down the street until he chose to gradually slow down and end perfectly in the grass. 


 
The biking phenomenon continues every day as he asks to go around the block and even on the golf course for a ride every evening.  I am so glad that Jake's vision has improved and has sight in both eyes again so he can ride!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I hope this isn't too weird, but I've periodically read your blog for the last year or so, and I see that you are a Speech Therapist. I am looking for both OT and ST for my son and am having trouble locating anyone with current availabilities. Do you have any openings or does the group you are affiliated with? Any assistance is appreciated.
    Kristi 6237038171

    ReplyDelete