After a great night's sleep, we woke up just in time for lunch! Once we had gotten ready for the day, with no real plans, we headed toward Times Square. I had to see the Iconic Jumbotron and the location of the New Years Eve Ball drop.
Man they are tall/huge. But that's how everything is in the city. We made our way toward Juniors Deli. We had a huge Ruben sandwich that we shared and onion rings. We really wanted dessert, but we were too full and we knew we had a lot of walking still to do.
I was intrigued by the different style of policing in NYC. Here the officers are not often visible because they are so spread out. In NYC there were officers everywhere. This little police station is actually in Times Square, right in the middle of the street.
I had read in my tourist book that there was a replica of the Iwo Jima Statue at the
Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum. I was set on going to see it, if at all possible. Before I paid, I asked the young workers where it was to see if I could get directly to the statue, without going through the whole tour of the Intrepid. The kids looked at me and asked what the Iwo Jima Memorial was. After explaining it to them, they still had no idea, so I figured that it would be a waste of time and money to search for it. I still don't know if it is even there?
Instead of hopping on a big ship we elected to hop on the Circle Island Tour at the Hudson River Piers. Robyn reminded me about the pilot who landed an airplane on the Hudson and it made that story even more amazing and the pilot even more heroic. That was a true miracle!!!
We sat up on the top deck of the boat for fresh air, but under the cover for a little shade. We were pretty comfortable during our tour. I was worried I would get motion sick, but I did ok with one Dramamine.
Our boat headed South on the Hudson toward the Statue of Liberty. We were able to get a good look of the New Freedom Tower and the New York Skyline as we headed out.
As we approached the Statue of Liberty I got a little teary eyed. I definitely felt proud to be an American and grateful for all those who have died and will die to give me my freedom. My freedom to work, to be educated, to have children, to travel, to worship God. What a magnificent blessing that we all take for granted too often. I am getting choked up just writing about it. I love the USA!
We also saw Ellis Island, although I don't of my ancestors came through there.
Our cruise proceeded up the East River and under the Brooklyn Bridge.
hybrid cable-stayed/suspension bridge in New York City and is one of the oldest bridges of either type in the United States. Completed in 1883, it connects the boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn by spanning the East River. It has a main span of 1,595.5 feet (486.3 m), and was the first steel-wire suspension bridge constructed
I never through I would forget a second of the tour as I snapped pictures like crazy, but sadly I did.
Now I just have random pictures from around the island instead of specific places.
Next time, I will take notes!
Manhattan Bridge
Williamsburg Bridge
Empire State Building
This is the Chrysler Building and it really doesn't shine (Ms. Hanagan)
United Nations Building
This is the first florescent sign in the US, Pepsi. Dute, Dute.
Queensboro Bridge
We also passed Yankee Stadium.
Henry Hudson Bridge over Harlem River, Manhattan-Bronx, New York City
On the north side of the island they have this cool moving bridge that opens for the boats to pass.
George Washington Bridge
is a double-decked suspension bridge spanning the Hudson River, connecting the Washington Heights neighborhood in the borough of Manhattan in New York City to New Jersey.
The bridge, an integral conduit within the New York metropolitan area, has an upper level that carries four lanes in each direction and a lower level with three lanes in each direction, for a total of 14 lanes of travel. The bridge's upper level carries pedestrian and bicycle traffic. As of 2013[update], the George Washington Bridge carries about 102 million vehicles per year, making it the world's busiest motor vehicle bridge
The Little Red Light House is the only Light House on the Island.
Fort Washington Park
I really enjoyed the tour and learning about all the different types of building and bridges on the island. It is just so different from Arizona. From old and intrecite architecture to sleek and modern buidlings. There is always something to see.
After the tour we headed back toward our hotel. We passed this fire station. I had to stop and take a picture to help me remember all the NYPD and NYFD heroes who sacrificed their life on 9/11. Real people, working their everyday jobs that never get to go home. They didn't run away. They ran into the middle of a nightmare.
Our next stop was snack time.
After all the show's publicity, Cake Boss was able to open a store in Times Square. We waited in line for at least 30-40 minutes before we were able to order a few treats. I have to say that I was disappointed. It wasn't that good.
After years of watching shows set in New York, I was super excited to see this convenience store on the corner. I am not sure they have these booths anywhere else in the world, but they work in NYC.
After a nice little rest, we headed out again to see a Broadway Play.
We had decided to see Rock of Ages because we both love 80's rock. The music was indeed fun, but our favorite part was watching the 70 year old man, with his shirt unbuttoned to his belly button, dancing and carrying on like he was 20. Wow!
After the show it was almost midnight, but that didn't stop the people of this city. Times Square looked exactly like noon, only all lit up. Thousands of people everywhere.
The Toys-R-Us has a full sized Ferris Wheel. Each car is a different toy theme.
My favorite was the little people bus. The stores in Times Square are all open until at least 1 am. So we did a little shopping before heading toward our hotel. We didn't feel like eating a big meal so late, but we were both hungry. We seized the moment and decided to check one "must have" off the list: a hot dog from a cart. I can say that I was honestly disappointed because really, it was just a hot dog from a strange guy, on the street corner, in NYC. Oh well. It was an experience I will not soon forget!
I do love the patriotism of the city. It's everywhere and I love that!
We rolled into bed pretty late, but not before checking out our view of the Empire State Building.
Day one was awesome and I was super excited for day two!




No comments:
Post a Comment