Friday, November 7, 2014

NYC Day 2

Day 2 started very early.  We had a tour to get to at the 9/11 memorial museum.  Robyn was smart and mapped out our way via the subway (another one of my must do's).  We walked a few blocks to get to the correct entrance.  On the way we stopped at a little donut cart.  It was inexpensive and very delicious.  Much better than the hot dog.  Once we made it to the correct place we descended into the subway station.  We bought our passes and looked for the right colored train.  I was so, so glad that Robyn had done that before, because I thought the signage was terrible.  It definitely wasn't newbie friendly.  But we found our platform and got on the correct train when it arrived. 
 

As we ascended Robyn pointed out Grand Central Station to me.  It is a beautiful building.  I am such a fan of all the beautiful architecture.  There is so much beauty in the details.

 
We continued on until we made our way to the hallowed ground of the 9/11 Memorial Museum. 
 
 
We were able to see the new Freedom Tower that has been built.

 
 As well as the beautiful reflection pools that are located where the twin towers formerly stood.


 
We then headed to the museum for our tour.

 
The museum is humbling and significant.

 
The mood is solemn, as it should be.


 
The architects did an amazing job incorporating many pieces of the original towers support system.


 
The museum is a journey of the day of the terrorist attacks for both the flights, those in the towers and their families.



 
Being here was emotional.  I know I shed many tears as I read about and saw the destruction.  Being in that spot, seeing it from a close up point of view, made it more devastating.  It made it more real to me than I expected.  I gained a much better understanding as I stood there and pictured being there.  In the middle of the horror, the destruction, the senseless loss of so many lives.


 
You aren't permitted to take pictures inside the museum, but the tribute to the people and the heroes was beautiful.
 
 
After the tour we took a few more pictures and then headed off for our next adventure.

 

As we headed back toward the Subway, we stopped in a little pizza place and bought the most delicious pizza.  We decided that since we needed to eat and move at the same time, we would hail a cab to our next destination.  We ate our slices while the cab maneuvered in heavy traffic to take us just a few miles away to the East Village.  This is where we began our walking cupcake tour.  We walked a lot.  About 4 miles from the East Village to Greenwich Village.  We stopped at little dessert bars or bakeries along the way.  We are pretty sure that our tour guide was lost as we roamed up and down the same street several times. 

 
We did get to see a lot of beautiful places, including this park.

The Washington Arch — is a marble triumphal arch built in 1892 in Washington Square Park in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of Lower Manhattan in New York City.

The north side of the eastern pier bears the sculpture George Washington as Commander-in-Chief, The western pier has George Washington as President.  These sculptures are commonly referred to as Washington at War and Washington at Peace, respectively.

 
Through the arch we were able to see Freedom Tower.  We were also able to see the place in Greenwich Village where the front of the Cosby Show house was filmed.  This was definitely my favorite part of the city.  The houses were beautiful and there were quaint parks and restaurants all over.  Our favorite cupcakes came from our last stop at Molly's Cupcakes.  Robyn bought a half dozen different ones to try.  They were all amazing.
 
We hailed a cab because we could hardly take another step.  We limped back to the hotel room and I fell asleep for a four hour nap.  When I finally woke up I felt horrible because poor Robyn had been listening to me snore while she worked.  We both decided that we didn't want to get dressed up and go out because we knew we had another early morning ahead.  Instead, we ordered in Chinese from Main Noodle House.  Robyn served me dinner in bed.  We both moaned as we ate because the food was so amazing.  We ate and ate until couldn't eat another bite.  We talked and laughed until we gave in to our exhaustion and slept.  


No comments:

Post a Comment